So yesterday was my birthday, and Roman had his birthday the day before that, and on top of that it is the holiday weekend so with all those events to celebrate, I am going to spend lots and lots of hour in the kitchen (which I LOVE) in order to make yummy food for my friends and family.
Stuffed Cabbage is an amazing comfort food that is loved by my all family, however I dont make it very often because it is a little time consuming, but for special occasions there are no excuses, right ? 🙂
A traditional and savory, Eastern European inspired gluten free entrée, perfect for Keto, Paleo and other healthy lifestyles.
- Ground beef – 1 lb
- Ground chicken – 1 lb
- Onions – 3 large
- Carrots – 2 medium
- Cabbage – 2 medium
- Rice – 2 cups (skip for Keto)
- Butter – 2 tablespoons
- Tomato Sauce – 3 medium cans
- Dill – 1/2 cup chopped
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Garlic powder – 2 teaspoon
- Onion powder – 2 teaspoon
- Black pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chicken broth – 1 medium box
- Sour cream – for topping
- In a large pot boil both cabbage for about an hour on low heat, make sure that the cabbage turns soft, and cook additional time if needed. set aside to cool down and afterwards cut out the core.
- In a large pan, fry the onions with the carrots and set aside to cool down
- Cook the 2 cups of rice in small pot and set aside to cool down
- In a large bowl, add the meat, rice, onion with carrots, dill, and all the spices, and one can of tomato paste and mix all very well and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Worm up the crock pot on high and add 1 can of the tomato sauce and half box of the chicken broth.
- Divide the cabbage mixture between the cabbage leaves and roll up tucking in ends to completely cover mixture.
- Add all the cabbage rolls to the crock pot and cover it with the remaining 1 can of the tomato sauce and the remaining 1/2 package of the chicken broth.
- Cook on high setting for about 1 hour and then switch to low setting for 3 hours
- Serve each cabbage roll with 1 table spoon of sour cream