OK, so who doesn’t like buns? I think that most of the people would admit that they are big bun lovers, however they avoid them due to the high amount of carbs. So, here you go! I have the solution for you: fluffy and delicious buns, with only 1 gram of carbs per bun!!! Yes, you read it right! only one gram carbs per bun! Can it get any better than that??? Well, perhaps it can… so today I grilled few buns for Daniella and added some peanut butter spread to this and Daniella said that it tasted just like a cake, so she requested to make those buns more often, and in a larger quantity 🙂
Low Carb Gluten Free Buns
A bread substitute for gluten free Keto, Paleo and other healthy lifestyles.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Almond flour, Coconut flour, Psyllium husk and xanthan gum and set aside.
- In medium pot, preferably a dutch oven, heat up the water, coconut oil and salt until it start to boil and than lower the heat to medium low and add all the flour mix we set earlier aside. Mix well, and continue to cook and stir until the dough pulls away from the pot and forms into a ball, 1-3 minutes.
- Transfer all the mixture back to the bowl and allow to cool down for about 5 minutes. Put your dough into the mixer and start adding one egg at the time while mixer is running making sure each egg gets well incorporated and finally add baking powder. Mix to incorporate backing powder and make sure the dough becomes very stretchy. Let it rest for about 5 more minutes.
- Now I tried to make it into bagel shapes but all they rose so much in the oven that they came out as buns, so shaping them isn’t that essential unless you have a bagel pan. Put the rested dough into the plastic bag and cut the bottom to around 1 inch wide. Pipe out the dough into a tray covered with parchment paper.
- Bake in preheated oven at 390º F for 30 minutes. Let them fully cool down on the wire rack. Enjoy.